Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Protect Marriage: Support Prop 8


Sergey Brin, the President of Google, has
publicly announced Google's opposition to Prop 8, which will protect the traditional definition of marriage as between a man and a woman.

While Google has a right to voice their opinion, their opposition to Prop 8 makes me not want to 
use their services. A ban on Google seems a little inconceivable, but people will write letters supporting Prop 8 to Google we could show that Google doesn't speak for all the people in our Nation.

By clicking on this link, you can send a message to Google giving your support to Prop 8.

Writing a quick message to let Google know that we support Prop 8 and marriage between a man and a woman will only take a few minutes. If you're also willing to go the second mile, you can also write a mailed letter to Google's headquarters address:

Google
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043

If Google can take a stand against this important issue, we can certainly band together and take a stand for it.

Please send your message to Google and then forward this information to any friends who are willing to support Prop 8.


Here is my message to Google:

Dear Google,

I just want to let you know that I disagree with your position on Prop 8. While you're entitled to your opinion, I would appreciate it if you would let Google users know that not everyone agrees with you.
I understood what President Brin said about the government encroaching on people's personal lives, but on this issue I disagree.
The Declaration of Independence says that it is the duty of the Government to protect the "unalienable Rights" of the "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" of its people. Undermining the traditional definition of marriage as between a man and a woman infringes on the rights of those who support this view. Your counterargument, I assume, would be that passing Prop 8 and rejecting homosexual marriages is an infringement on the right to "the pursuit of Happiness" for homosexuals. You may believe this, but again I disagree. 

I feel that a key part of this passage in the Declaration of Independence is that these rights were endowed to "all men" "by their Creator." I believe in God and I believe in right and wrong. It is clear throughout the Bible, in both the Old and New Testaments, that homosexuality is against God's law. It is He who gave us these basic rights, and thus what rights we grant to one another should follow his laws.

I realize that you may not believe in the values or theology that I espouse, but I just want you to know that I disagree and I would appreciate it if your users could understand that not everyone in this nation agrees with your stance on Prop 8.

Thank you,

Jennifer Ricks

1 comment:

Jayne said...

Good job,
so glad you wrote in support of prop 8